Responsible for assisting with the planning, organization and direction of all activities and staff related to the city, county, state and federal road construction and maintenance.
∙ Supervises and directs the activities of assigned staff; coordinates, prioritizes and assigns tasks and projects; tracks and reviews work progress and activities; directs the recruitment and selection of staff; undertakes disciplinary action as required; conducts performance evaluations.
∙ Recommends selection of staff; trains staff and provides for their professional development; administers discipline as required.
∙ Implements goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the division; assists with the management of the division’s budget.
∙ Supervises a variety of road, right-of way and drainage and flood control programs, such as the pavement management program, curb, gutter and sidewalk maintenance program, street sweeping program, Road Grading program, snow and ice control program and subterranean drainage.
∙ Schedules construction and maintenance activities, oversees and evaluates work in progress and ensures that all activities meet specifications, codes, and regulations.
∙ Resolves questions and complaints from the public; provides information regarding projects, construction or repair schedules and departmental activities.
∙ Assists in the identification of capital contract project needs and capital equipment needs, budgets appropriately; assists with supervision of construction programs and projects.
∙ Maintains liaison and directs coordination with other County departments, various utility, governmental agencies, and County departmental staff; ensures that all codes and regulations are met in assigned projects.
∙ Assists with the supervision of contracts with and confers with construction contractors and County staff; schedules projects; provides technical oversight, inspects work in progress and ensures that all work complies with contract specifications and applicable codes and standards.
∙ Directs the maintenance of accurate records and files and prepares a variety of periodic and special reports and correspondence.
∙ Performs duties of Road maintenance staff as required.
- Experience equal to five years of full-time highway maintenance work, highway construction work.
- Knowledge of the standard methods, materials, tools, and equipment used in highway maintenance work.
- Knowledge of the federal, state and departmental regulations applicable to the work, such as the proper use of safety equipment, equipment operation, and materials handling.
- Ability to plan, direct and supervise the work of employees.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions, day or night, in normal and emergency situations.
- Can operate computers and/or other electronic devices and use programs/applications to conduct business.
- Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Refrains from dishonest behavior.
- Works and communicates with all clients and customers providing polite, quality professional service.